1. Heat about one inch of oil in a large cast-iron or heavy bottomed skillet over high heat. Whisk the hot sauce and egg in a medium bowl; toss the chicken in the mixture to coat.
2. Combine the flour, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Set aside 3 tablespoons seasoned flour in a separate bowl; dredge the chicken in the remaining seasoned flour until coated, shaking off any excess.
3. Place the chicken in the hot oil and fry until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly; discard the oil.
4. Melt the butter in the same skillet and whisk in the reserved seasoned flour until smooth. Whisk in the scallions, and then slowly pour in the broth. Bring to a simmer, whisking until the gravy is smooth. Meanwhile, toast the waffles.
5. Place a waffle on each plate and drizzle with maple syrup (if desired.) Top with chicken and gravy and sprinkle with scallions.