6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 lb.)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
1/2 chipolte chile (canned in adobo sauce)
1 can (14 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups instant rice
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Lime wedges for serving
Add To Shopping List
Let's Make It
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture over the chicken and rub in with fingers.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderatly high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken and cook, turning until browned on all sides; about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a 6 quart slow cooker.
3. Place canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipolte and remaining spice mixture in blender. Cover and blend until smooth and pour over chicken. Add broth.
4. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or 2 to 2.5 on high. Gently stir in rice and cook on high for 30 minutes, stirring once. Turn cooker off, stir in peas, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
5. Cut cherry tomatoes in half and toss with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.