1. Preheat oven to 175°F. Line several baking sheets with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Sprinkle a few spoonfuls of superfine sugar over beaten egg whites, and whisk in on low speed. Increase speed of mixer; whisking constantly, continue adding superfine sugar, a spoonful at a time, until all has been incorporated and mixture is firm enough to hold stiff and glossy peaks. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Pipe or spoon small mounds of mixture onto baking sheets, spacing mounds about 1 inch apart.
4. Bake meringues until completely dry to the touch, about 3 hours.
5. Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days. Before serving, dust meringues with confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder.