1. Make the coffee with the water and the 8 tablespoons coffee following your coffee pot directions and let it cool. Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small pot until butter is melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat the oven to 350° F.
3. Grease and lightly flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
4. In a small bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder.
5. In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and continue mixing for 5 minutes more. Reduce the speed to low. Add the vanilla, flour mixture, butter mixture and coffee and mix for 1 more minute.
6. Pour the batter into baking pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks, gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.
7. In a large bowl gently mix the COOL WHIP, instant coffee and 6 tablespoons of shaved chocolate.
8. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, spreading 1/2 of the COOL WHIP mixture on top, place the other cake layer on top and spread the top with remaining COOL WHIP mixture.
9. Add the remaining shaved chocolate and chocolate covered espresso beans, if using, on top of the cake. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.