We love cooking with beets. They’re a tasty root vegetable with lots of sweet, earthy flavor and a beautiful color. They’re also easy to cook! Roasting beets in their skin is the best way to preserve and concentrate their sweet, earthy flavors. Simply put, it pays to know how to roast beets! Watch this cooking video for techniques and culinary tips from My Food and Family.
How to Roast Beets - Instructions
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the beet greens, leaving around 1 inch of stem.
- Scrub your beets gently but thoroughly while being careful not to tear the skin.
- Place the beets into aluminum foil and wrap well. This will make cleanup easier and help retain the moisture in your beets while they roast.
- Place your wrapped beets on a baking sheet.
- Bake your beets in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Check to see if your beets are finished. They should be fork tender with a skin that comes off easily.
- Remove the skins with your fingers or a paring knife.
- Slice your beets and serve them your way.
Roasted beets are extremely versatile. You can serve them as a side dish, grate them and add them to coleslaw, or wait for them to cool before adding them to your favorite salad with KRAFT dressing.
Check Out Some of Our Favorite Beet Recipes
Now that you know how to roast beets, try making one of our other un-beet-able recipes.