Whether they’re dressed up for Halloween or arranged to resemble pastel-colored balloons for a baby shower, cupcakes are the baked-goods world’s most beloved and versatile treat. Here we present expert tips on how to make the best cupcakes possible—from how to make them super moist to how to decorate them most adorably. If you’re absolutely a beginner, start with our baking basics and tips, then move on to the cupcake-specific pointers below. After that, you’ll be ready to produce cupcakes for just about any occasion—from wedding cupcakes to everyday cupcakes and beyond! For those occasions when only full-size will do—well, we’ve got big cakes and chocolate cakes and cheesecakes, too!
For an extra-moist treat, try adding 1 pkg. JELL-O Instant Pudding to your favorite boxed cake mix.
- Want to adapt your favorite cake recipe to make cupcakes? Most traditional cake recipes will yield 16-24 cupcakes. Fill liners no more than 2/3 full and decrease baking time to 15-20 minutes.
- Check cupcakes at the low end of the recommended baking time. Use a toothpick to check 2 or 3 cupcakes in different areas of the pan: if it comes out clean, they’re done!
- Cool cupcakes completely before frosting to avoid a melted mess.
- For best results, use a small offset spatula for frosting cupcakes instead of a butter knife. If you don’t have piping tips and bags, fill a resealable plastic bag with frosting. Cut a small corner off bottom of the bag and use to make decorative designs on cupcakes.
- For a quick frosting, use COOL WHIP Extra Creamy Whipped Topping tinted with a few drops of food coloring.
- Add a little crunch! Try topping frosted vanilla cupcakes with toasted BAKER’S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut.
- Freeze unfrosted cupcakes in freezer-weight resealable plastic bags up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature, then frost as desired.
Prepare for Party Time
Get inspired by the fun mix of cupcakes to try over the holidays or your upcoming party! Try our BAKER'S© ONE BOWL Cupcakes are so simple to make and only require 15 minutes of prep time. For a delicious mix of cupcake and pie, try our Boston Cream Pie Minis. They’re sure to please. You’ll love making our Red Velvet Cupcakes for their sweet surprise—a delicious cream cheese filling!
- A cupcake “tree” can instantly transform your cupcakes into an interesting arrangement. You’ll get the drama of a cake with the ease of serving cupcakes.
- Reindeer Cupcakes will be the star of your next holiday party. For more festive ideas, check out our Holiday How-To Center.
- For easy transport, purchase a plastic cupcake carrier or bakery box.
- Attack of the Martians Cupcakes is just one of the great ideas a space-themed party. Look for other party themes here.
- Colorful cupcake liners add a fun twist to any cupcake recipe. Reusable liners made of silicone are also available and help minimize waste.
We hope these tips on how to make the best cupcakes come in handy for any occasion. For more recipes to make you best cupcake bake, try out these Lemon-Cream Cheese Cupcakes or even our Pumpkin Cream Cupcakes.