You can improve upon boxed cake mix with just a few simple steps. Watch this video to learn how to jazz up a pantry staple with these boxed cake ideas! All you need is a boxed cake mix, a few simple ingredients and a little creativity. You may never buy a pre-made cake from the store again.
Boxed Cake Mix Idea 1: Best Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake
The pudding mix makes the cake extra-rich and moist. The sour cream is the secret ingredient, and it gives the cake an extraordinary flavor and wonderful texture.
- Add just a few delicious ingredients to a basic chocolate cake mix.
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding
- 2 pkg. (4 oz. each) BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, chopped and divided
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup each water and cooking oil
- 1 cup of BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN’S Sour Cream
- Blend the cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water) on low with an electric hand mixer, until combined.
- Stir in half of the chopped BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate.
- Spoon the batter into two 9” round greased baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
- As the cakes cool, make the frosting with the other half of the chopped BAKER’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate and COOL WHIP Whipped Topping. The COOL WHIP makes the frosting creamy and smooth. Combine the two ingredients in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Mix the mixture until smooth, then let rest for 15 minutes until it thickens and is easy to spread over the cake.
- Once the cake layers have cooled, begin to frost the cake. Spread the frosting on the first layer, then place the second layer on top and finish frosting.
Boxed Cake Mix Idea 2: Best Carrot Cake Recipe
- Prepare basic spice cake batter according to package direction.
- Add crushed pineapple, shredded carrots, and chopped pecans to the batter.
- Frost the cake with a cream cheese frosting.
- Use remaining chopped pecans to add the finishing touches for decoration.
Boxed Cake Mix Idea 2: Moist Caramel Apple Cake
- Add dry JELL-O Vanilla Flavored Instant Pudding and Pie Filling and chopped apples to a dry yellow cake mix.
- For the topping, melt KRAFT Caramels and milk in the microwave; stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cake once cooled to desired consistency.
You May Also Enjoy:
Best-Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake
Best Carrot Cake Recipe
Moist Caramel Apple Cake