- Select firm, smooth, well-shaped potatoes that are free of wrinkles, cracks and blemishes. Avoid any with green-tinged skins or sprouting "eyes" or buds.
- Store potatoes for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place. Warmth and light encourage sprouting and shriveling. They may be stored in a paper or burlap bag. Do not store potatoes in the refrigerator.
- Never store potatoes near onions as gases given off by the onions cause potatoes to spoil faster.
ALL SORTS OF POTATOES
Select types of potatoes based on how they will be used: baked, boiled, mashed, roasted or fried.
Russets: also called baking or Idaho potatoes; long and slightly rounded with rough, brown skin; high in starch and low in moisture; excellent for baking, french fries and mashing.
Round Reds & Whites: also called boiling potatoes; medium-size with smooth red or light tan skins; low in starch and high in moisture with a waxy texture; excellent for boiling (potato salads), oven roasting and frying (hash browns/potato pancakes).
New Potatoes: young potatoes of any variety, but mainly round reds; small with a very thin skin; low in starch with a crisp, waxy texture; excellent in potato salads or for roasting or grilling.
Yukon Gold: thin, yellowish skin with golden, buttery-tasting flesh; low in starch and high in moisture; excellent for boiling and mashing.
- Get creative with baked potato toppings and turn those spuds into a hearty main dish. Use a variety of cooked veggies or other ingredients and top them off with BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream; crumbled cooked OSCAR MAYER Bacon; or your favorite KRAFT Shredded Cheese or KRAFT Dressing.
- Jazz up mashed potatoes with garlic, fresh herbs, PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese or KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Toss chunks of buttered boiled potatoes with KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese and chopped fresh parsley.
- Coat potato pieces with oil, minced fresh garlic, GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard and herbs before roasting.
- Add zesty flavor to creamy potato salads by stirring in KRAFT Prepared Horseradish or GOOD SEASONS Salad Dressing Mix.
Crispy Parmesan Baked Potatoes