Homemade empanadas are a delicious and versatile dish that can be filled with a range of sweet and savory options. In Argentina, you might find boiled eggs in a tasty crust or, in Mexico, sweet pumpkin. Here at My Food and Family, we’re bringing you a classic: empanadas with chicken and cheese. We think you'll love our take on empanadas—flavorful flaky pastries filled with cheesy chicken, green peppers, salsa and more. These turnover-style pastries travel well, so you can pack the leftovers for the kids to bring for lunch the next day. And they’re not as hard to make as you think! Read on for instructions on how to make chicken and cheese empanadas. Looking for more ideas? Check out our empanada recipes collection page
How To Make Chicken and Cheese Empanadas - Preparation
PREP: 20 minutes
TOTAL: 1 hour and 15 minutes
MAKES: 6 servings
Gather the following ingredients.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. cold water, divided
- 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers
- 1/2 cup TACO BELL®Home Originals® Thick 'N Chunky Medium Salsa
- 1 cup KRAFT Mexican Style Shredded Four Cheese with a TOUCH OF PHILADELPHIA
- 1 egg
How to Make Chicken and Cheese Empanadas - Instructions
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add 1/4 cup water, stirring until mixture forms ball.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface 5 min. or until smooth and elastic. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate while preparing empanada filling. Cook chicken, onions and peppers in nonstick skillet on medium-high heat 5 min. or until chicken is no longer pink. Add salsa; cook and stir 2 min. Cool completely.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll out each piece on lightly floured surface to 7-inch round; place on large sheet of parchment paper.
- Stir cheese into chicken mixture; spoon about 1/2 cup onto half of each dough round. Beat egg and remaining water; brush onto edges of dough rounds. Slide parchment onto baking sheet.
- Fold dough rounds in half to enclose filling. Press tops lightly to remove excess air; seal edges with fork. Brush tops with remaining egg. Bake 18 to 20 min. or until golden brown.
Check Out Some of Our Favorite Empanada Recipes
From savory to sweet and everything in between, the filling options when you’re making homemade empanadas are endless! To stay in the chicken and cheese empanada family, give our Cilantro and Chicken Empanadas or Cheesy Spinach and Bacon Empanadas a try. Prefer beef? Go for the Savory Beef Empanadas. Eat your way across South America with Chilean Empanadas and Argentinian Empanadas, or try a classic American take with Thanksgiving Leftovers Empanadas. Start your day with the Breakfast Empanadas with Chipotle Cream or end it with a sweeter version like our Pineapple-Berry Empanadas or our Apple & Cheddar Empanadas.