There’s a reason why every Tuesday is dedicated to tacos! As all taco-lovers know, the combination of a flavorful filling and a crunchy taco shell (or soft) is scrumptious and satisfying. But you don’t need to go to a restaurant to celebrate Taco Tuesday. This article on how to make tacos will teach you how to prep, prepare and serve these crowd favorites at home—not just on Tuesday but on any day of the week! Read on for advice from My Food and Family, and you’ll be making tacos at home in no time.
Choosing a Recipe
With such a wide range of taco recipes to choose from, narrowing it down to one can be tricky. Our advice is to choose an easy recipe the first time, and then build up your taco repertoire from there. Check out our recipe below for simple, straightforward instructions on how to make tacos.
Easy Tacos with My Food and Family
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 pkg. (1 oz.) TACO BELL Taco Seasoning Mix
- 12 TACO BELL Taco Shells or 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
- 3/4 cup TACO BELL Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
How to Make Tacos
- First, cook meat with 1 pkg. (1 oz.) of TACO BELL Taco Seasoning Mix according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 12 TACO BELL Taco Shells or 12 6-inch flour tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon meat mixture, shredded cheese, salsa, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sour cream into separate serving bowls.
- Pass out the taco shells and let everyone build their own tacos! This recipe makes 6 servings, 2 tacos each.
- Make sure your taco shells are fresh. No matter how flavorful your filling is, a stale taco shell can ruin your chances at taco success.
- Always heat your taco shells. For hard shell tacos, heat shells in the oven at 325 °F for 6 to 7 minutes or until crisp.
- How to Warm Tortillas in the microwave:
Heat medium skillet on medium-high heat. Spray both sides of each tortilla lightly with cooking spray. Add tortillas to skillet, one at a time; cook 5 sec. on each side or just until softened.
- How to Warm Tortillas in a skillet:
To warm tortillas in the microwave, wrap them in paper towels and microwave on HIGH just until warmed. Cooking time varies by number of tortillas. For 1 tortilla, microwave 15 sec.; for 2 tortillas, microwave 20 sec.; for 6 to 8 tortillas, microwave 1 min.; and for 12 tortillas, microwave 1-1/2 min.
- Top your tacos with cheese while the filling is still hot. You’ll enjoy ooey, gooey flavor as the cheese melts into the filling.
- Have some fun with the toppings! Tacos are a versatile dish, and experimenting with veggies, salsa and other ingredients is a great way to find out which toppings you like best.
- Don’t forget the seasonings! A flavorful seasoning blend may include paprika, cumin, salt, pepper or oregano depending on your personal preference. Simple and satisfying, seasoning your meat in spices can help make or break your taco dish.
But this article is just the tip of iceberg of great tacos. Other tacos include fish tacos, meatless tacos and gourmet tacos al pastor. For additional taco recipes, try these gems:
TACO BELL® and Logo are trademarks owned and licensed by Taco Bell Corp.