Look no further for fun ways to celebrate the holidays at home. Many families may be mindful of larger gatherings or may choose not to travel during the holiday season.. Here are some fun ways to spend quality time together, create amazing memories and share the festive spirit while celebrating the holidays at home.
- Send holiday cards. Whether you want to make your own or use an online resource, a holiday card is a great way to reach out to friends and family near and far. Bonus points for sending cards with photos of your family.
- Decorate your home. Let the outside world see your holiday spirit. Break out the twinkling lights, characters and wreaths. Deck out your home to make every night festive. Let the whole family get in on decorating and create memories that will last.
- Neighborhood cookie swap. The holiday season is about giving and sharing. Get together with your neighbors for a cookie swap you might even discover your new favorite treat! You can bake the usual favorites or try something new for the holidays, such as Italian Lemon-Ricotta Cookies or Thin Mint Cookies.
- Holiday movie night. Make your favorite popcorn recipe like our Easy Caramel Popcorn or Southwest BBQ Popcorn Mix, pile up the pillows and try not to fight over the blankets as you lose yourself in a family favorite.
- Check out the holiday lights. Grab the family, jump in the car, go for a drive, marvel at the holiday lights and share in the holiday spirit with others from your warm car. There’s a lot of work that goes into light displays, and they can look pretty magical when the sun goes down.
- Bake some holiday treats. Whip up some traditional recipes or try some soon-to-be new family favorites, such as Peanut Butter ‘Lasagna’, Pumpkin Spice-Caramel Poke Cake or Double-Chocolate ChocoFlan. There aren’t many things that are better than a house that smells of freshly baked cookies.
- Donate toys. The holidays are a great time to think about those less fortunate, and a great way to make a tough year a little easier is by giving back. Just find a local charity, donate a toy and spread some joy. Make someone else’s holidays at home a little brighter.
- Cut a rug. A family dance party is a great way to get some exercise, cut loose and have some fun. Create a customized playlist with each member of your family’s favorite tunes to really get the party going. Compiling the list is a great way to spend time together. You might find that you and your kids share similar musical tastes!
- Have a family game night. Break out your favorite board games and rev up your family’s competitive spirit. Take the night up a notch with delicious snacks such as Easy Spinach Dip with Cheese, Ultimate 7-Layer Dip or Super Potato Skins.
- Showtime. Help the kids create their own play. They can write their own script, use household items for costumes and props and flex their creative muscles. Don’t be surprised if you’re given some lines as well!
- Family read along. Grab a classic or a new favorite and take turns reading aloud. Or, if you prefer, assign characters and take turns acting out the parts. It’s a great way for adults to catch up on their reading and another way to show children that reading is fun.
- Home cooking competition. Pick out some recipes and feel free to get as creative as you wish. If you need inspiration, explore our collection of holiday recipes!
Looking for even more ways to make the holidays at home more festive? Get more helpful ideas and delicious recipes to help make your holiday season memorable.