If you’ve only ever had sweet potatoes in a pie or in a casserole, you might be missing out on their versatility. Learning how to bake a sweet potato is just one step towards rounding out your cooking repertoire. Baked sweet potatoes make a perfect side dish for nearly any dinner, no matter the occasion. In just a few easy steps, you’ll have a baked sweet potato on the table in no time!
Baking a Sweet Potato
- Sweet potato
- Toppings of your choice, like PLANTER’S Pecans, cinnamon butter or JET-PUFFED Mini Marshmallows
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Baking sweet potatoes can be messy, and the foil or parchment will help with clean up.
- Wash and scrub the skins to remove any dirt and grit. Dry the sweet potato skins to get crispy skin.
- Poke holes in each potato with a paring knife. This helps release steam while baking to avoid an exploding sweet potato in the oven!
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven for about 1 hour or until fork tender—that is, stick a fork in the sweet potato, and if it slides right in, the potato is done.
- Cool and then spilt open to fluff with a fork. Top your sweet potato with a little salt and pepper and eat plain or add your preferred toppings!
Now that you know how to bake a sweet potato, use your new cooking skill to try recipes like Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes, Double-Baked Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Cheese or Cheesy BBQ Chicken-Sweet Potato Slices.
If you happen to be in a rush but still want tasty sweet potatoes try Microwaved Sweet Potatoes (almost no one will know you baked them in the microwave!) or Smoky Taco-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.