Gleefully gruesome but nonetheless scrumptious, our Halloween cakes rule! Here you’ll find all sorts of helpful baking tips—including how to freeze and split cakes, if necessary. If you could use a refresher course on icing, check out our how-to video on how to frost a cake. Once you’re refreshed, there’s a world of great Halloween treats to explore—including creepy cupcakes and spooky cookies. If the cake is part of a larger monster bash, do check out our collection of great recipes and menus in our Halloween party ideas section (we have a kid’s Halloween party plan, too), as well as clever crafting and decorating tips on our (possibly haunted) Halloween home page.
Simple Halloween Cake Tricks
- When baking cakes, always check for the cake's doneness at the lowest baking time specified in the recipe or on the cake mix package.
- For a picture-perfect finish, cool cake layers completely before filling and frosting.
- Did you know that most cheesecakes can be frozen? And they're so easy to make. Bake and cool the cheesecake, then wrap tightly and freeze up to two months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator before serving.
- When tightly wrapped, most cake layers will freeze well for up to two months. Let frozen layers stand at room temperature 30 minutes or until partially thawed. Then, fill and frost with your favorite filling and/or frosting. (The firmer texture of the partially frozen cake layers will make it easier to fill and frost them.)
- When splitting cake layers, insert toothpicks halfway up side of each cake layer to mark the center. Then, use a long serrated knife to cut each cake into layers, using the toothpicks as a guide.
- With very little effort, you can put guests under a spell with this Haunted House or Under-a-Spell Red Devil Cake.
- Looking for more cake tips? Our cake recipe page is guaranteed to help you bake the perfect cake.
Sweet Halloween Treats
- When hosting a children's party, make it extra special by decorating the cake to match your child's costume. Our Theme Cakes page is filled with plenty of ideas to help make your party a success.
- Need a recipe for a delicious homemade frosting? Our easy-to-make Vanilla Frosting Recipe, featuring three Kraft Heinz favorites, PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme and COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, is the perfect complement to any cake flavor. For a touch of color, tint the frosting with food coloring to match your party decorations.
- Chocolate-Orange Layer Cake is a proven favorite with the adults in the crowd. To assist you with the recipe prep, we've included a how-to video with foolproof step-by-step directions.
- For added chocolate flavor and moistness, add 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) JELL-O Devil's Food Instant Pudding to your favorite chocolate cake batter before baking as directed.
- The secret behind making our fun Great Pumpkin Cake is the fluted tube pan used to bake the cake. But mum's the word. No one needs to know how simple this cake is to prepare!
- Make a muddy swamp, complete with fish, the edible centerpiece of your Halloween table. Our Green S'Lime JELL-O Swamp Cake is guaranteed to win raves from young and old alike.
- Looking for some delicious hand-held Halloween treats? Our Halloween Cupcake page is full of scrumptious recipes! Why wait? Check it out now.